new rotation, new consultant. And my tutor has been trying his very best to remember how to pronounce my name. Hahaha :D :D
Dr: What rotation were you on before this?
Students: Cardio.
Dr: ARGH! welcome to REAL medicine.
Students laugh.
Dr: So who did you have before this?
Student 1: Prof F
Student 2: Prof N
Dr: oh, F & N, the dream team! great teachers aren't they? (pause)
Dr: But, I'm better!
lol
Dr: Sorry, (looks at me) what's your name again? it's just that i've never seen that name before.
Me: Oh, it's Charis. Don't worry, Prof N never got it right in the past 7 weeks.
Dr: Ahhhh, more incentive for me to get it right then!
More quotes from the tutor.
You Malaysians are like the mafia. You guys hang around each other as if like a secret association. You people kill people at night don't you? The largest illegal society in Edinburgh!
So, are you part of the mafia too? -.-"
After 2 hour long bedside teaching:
Dr: How was that? was that too long?
Me: (very stupidly) um, a bit i guess. We are a bit too used to cardio's 1 hour bedside teaching.
Dr: 1 HOUR! What are they even teaching you? Do they even teach you? hahaha
At clinic, talking to a registrar
Dr: My patient whom i saved last week was so thankful to me she gave me this pen.
Reg: uhuh
Dr: A PEN!
Reg: ermm?
Dr: She should have give me whisky! i saved her life!
i'm finding the cardio-respi rivalry really really amusing. and my tutor when he's not serious, is like a comedy standup show, except he doesn't even need to stand up.
but, i'm quite scared for now...my group is super duper ultra keen. That's what you get when you sign up for the 'top choice' tutor.
Dr: Tell me your name, where you come from and a hobby or interest so i can remember you.
Student 1: blablablabla, i like music, especially classical. I play the violin, like playing in orchestras. I played in some orchestra in Glasgow, bladibladibla.
Dr: good good, next.
Student 2: My name is......... my hobbies? I'm the Amnesty international president, i like doing their activities. fight for human rights, bladibladibla. I learn the guitar.
Dr: Will you fight against a consultant who tortures his students?
Student 2: We'll find out. *smiles*
Dr: (Laughs) good good. next.
Student 3: I am........ i like mountaineering. I'm part of the wilderness medics. In fact i'm late for mountaineering so can i text someone? bladibladibla
Dr: okok. next
Student 4: Blablabla i enjoy playing the cello. especially in quartets. I play for the musical medics.
Dr: We have a musical group don't we? good good. next!
Student 5: Blablabla I like doing sign language. I am involved in the sign language society and currently we are trying to encourage deaf students to apply for university and stuff. Having all kinds of talks for them. and i play the saxophone.
Dr: So which schools are you targetting for these talks?
Student 5: Actually I am part of the 'recruiting-the-consultants' job. *winks at consultant*
Dr: (laughs) what? ah..... next!
I was the last student in line. and listening all that was like reading 5 CVs. seriously! hobbies?! sigh sigh. sound so superbly uberly abnormally keen. and i couldn't think of anything that 'uplifting' and 'CV worthy'. the only thing i could think of was....
Me: I'm Charis. From Malaysia...
Dr: EAST Malaysia! (a lil inside joke between us since he found out from one West Malaysian's attitude in clinic that some West Malaysians look at east malaysia differently)
Me: (chuckle) I errm. i errm. i like baking.
(a few funny stares, a few laughs)
Me: Annnnnd, i like to play the piano and guitar, but not really good at it.
Dr: well, if you want to bake, we are always ready for some!
felt a bit stupid at that time. seriously. baking? was thinking of egg tarts i made over the weekend. and even that was a disaster considering i dropped the tray, just when it was done. baking when everyone's talking all the 'impress-the-consultant, CV worthy, MTAS point gaining' stuff.
sigh sigh sigh.
Thank goodness he did not say any sort of 'society' stuff when he was talking about his.
Dr: I'm from Aberdeen and my hobbies is chasing after my kids! I do play competitive squash but not very good anymore.
Ah..cuteness. Imagine though, if he said, my hobby is to work for something like WHO or UNICEF or British Lung Foundation. I would have SOOOO FREAKED OUT!
But, i did have lighter moments with the group today. Two of them in particular was so jealous of me that i had Prof N as a tutor for cardio, since he was in their words 'superbly hot' and part of 'my dream'. Just as they were talking about him, Prof N strided pass the corridor.
I looked at him, said a very sheepish 'Hi'
He looked back, smiled, nodded while saying 'you alright?'
Another sheepish 'yes.'
And he nodded and walked off.
And the next thing i saw when i looked at my groupmate was an extremely blushed tomato RED face! and he was really not that far away!
Ahhh.... hope this rotation will be a good one.
No comments:
Post a Comment