A wonderful play indeed. But for medics lah. There were quite a lot of inside jokes for medics and Edinburgh medics in particular, so I was quite surprised to see such a play have such a great turnout. The audience not only filled the seats in the hall, we filled every bit of space of the hall, leaving last minute people like me having to settle with a 1 pound discount of a 'floor seat' at the steps.
So, let me write a quick review. The plot was...okay lah. Predictable if you know the story of Joseph or have watch the musical 'Joseph and his amazing technicolour coat'. But the medical flavoured twist in the dialogues and settings were great. Some parts were pretty daring, i would say, with special role created based on THE lady anatomist Dr Fanny Krismundottir (don't worry, it takes practice to get her name right. :P) Lots of humour (dark, medical, light, lame, sensual and Indian etc all included). But, most of the plot would leave anybody with zero knowledge of medical life/abbreviations in a blur. but then again, there's quite a lot of people out there who like House without any medical knowledge, so you just never know do you? :D
Example of lame:
Consultant: Look at his hands. What do you see?
Medical Student: Fingers.
Consultant: Yes!!!! And it's clubbing, just like you!
...
The effort the 4th year medics injected into this play is incredible. Everything went smoothly. Not a single glitch. Even with the complicated lighting and sound system which had to be coordinated with the musical orchestra (dressed appropriately in scrubs :) ). My only complain would be that sometimes i can't listen to the lyrics they are singing when they sing together. And that's quite sad when the songs are personally modified by the scriptwriters to give the medical humorous twang.
A great musical indeed :D
And this morning was Edinburgh Malaysian Student Association (EMSA)'s AGM. I decided to run for secretary since there was nobody running initially for that post before the elections started, though quite a lot of people were running for VP. I thought I gave it a try, coz i've been thinking quite alot about how to improve EMSA and make it as ideal as reality permits and i wanted to play a more active role in making these ideals into reality. I didn't want to run for president or VP because i think that i was too laidback during the past year to run for such big posts. I would not want my inexperience in what the association does bring the association down. Why not treasurer? Mainly because i have a phobia of handling money, especially when it belongs to a big group. I can handle it when i lose a letter or a minute, but money, ugh...probably not just yet. I'd have to tackle this phobia one day. I know. And i'd be up to the challenge one day in the future. But let's just say it's better to take things one at a time.
I wanted to get in the committee to contribute ideas, but why secretary, you might ask? I'd have to say, the reasons i chose this post was a bit 'selfish'. I've been VP, organiser and treasurer in the past, but i've never done a job of the secretary. I thought, it'd be great to gain that experience as a student, instead of being blur next time. I do not particularly love typing letters and minutes. But its something i can do and something i have done before (i'd never forget that tedious SSC!). So at the same time, i thought i could learn a few things (with EMSA's wide range of events from sports to performance events), get to handle bigger stuff and basically step up and widen my 'education' into one that is more rounded. I've realised that after a year as a fresher i've been laid-back. A bit too laid-back, and i suddenly realised there's this daunting world out there i need to tackle in 4 years time, and i just need to get down, dirty, and ready. I don't want to get too laid-back just because I'm studying overseas, and come back to Malaysia with a degree from UK and nothing much else. I want to expand my capacity to serve, not just wait for things to happen.
Well, to cut the story short, I lost at the elections. It was a top-down election, so people who lost at elections for 'higher' posts, i.e. president, VP, could contest for Secretary and Treasurer, so i need not run alone. :) Despite losing, i was glad i ran for it. I was glad i stood up and take a stand. It's a stand saying 'I'm ready. I'm facing my fears. I'm facing my laziness. I'm facing my laid-backness. I'm facing all these and saying goodbye to them'. It's a stand saying 'i'm not just gonna talk, i'm gonna work at working it!' It's a stand saying 'I'm ready to serve, ready to commit, elected or not'. I don't consider this a failure, in fact i'm extremely glad for this chance. A big congratulations to the new committee, ie, Iris, Sam, Sue Anne and Amalina, the President, VP, Secretary and Treasurer respectively. Huge imbalance though, with 3 1st year medics and 3 girls out of 4. But we are all Malaysians! :D
1 comment:
Thanks for writing this.
Post a Comment