Friday, 16 November 2007

Found home with the homeless.

I absolutely enjoyed twf with the Edinburgh Homeless Practice. Sad that we had our last tutorial with dr digby today, and that means time to start the write-up for this exercise.

But i hate to call this an exercise. That sounds like it was forced down. But i totally, absolutely enjoyed it. I've learned so much, more than i can learn in even the thickest books that take so much energy to carry up the library stairs. It was an amazing experience seeing what really affected people, the influence on them, and any help that a doctor can make to patients who would most probably be facing some gloomy days.

Like the way dr digby described it, 'I always don't know how to introduce myself to my patients. I mean unlike mainstream GPs you can't say 'glad to have u back here at the homeless practice', especially if some patients manage to get registered somewhere else and come back. It's more like, 'I'm sorry, but welcome to the EHP'.'

This has been far from an exercise. It was a great experience. I learned for once, not with my brain, but with my heart. I've felt something real. And i wanna see more.

Yet, i can't deny that it can be pretty exciting/scary/unpredictable entering the EHP in the beginning, with patients who might be high on drugs at 11 am in the morning, to people who haven't bathe for days. But it's exciting. Coz here, the doc doesn't just treat some physical disease, coz most of the time the physical disease are just symptoms of emotional and circumstantial problems.

And yes, i wanna go back there, some time soon.

No comments: